Sunday, March 15, 2020

How are you grieving the loss?

We have been hit with more change and news from day to day in the past couple weeks than might seem possible to process—case numbers of COVID-19 growing by the day, universities moving classes online and even sending students home for the semester, companies instructing employees to work from home, schools sending students home for an extended ‘spring break’, churches holding services online, and of course everyone stocking up on toilet paper! These are unprecedented times and that brings many unknowns. And unknowns can bring fear of the unknown.


BUT, we serve a God who is KNOWN. And despite the current health crisis we face in our country and around the world, He is still GOOD, and He is still SOVEREIGN. He is the King of the Universe, and He sits on His throne in a sure Kingdom. And we are His beloved children and part of His Kingdom! So what is our role and responsibility as the Church to continue to spread the Love and Joy and Peace and Hope of the Good News of Jesus, without unknowingly spreading a virus to those around us, and to protect those who are especially vulnerable?


On Friday I learned the limitations and restrictions my organization is taking. Like many others, suspending travel, postponing projects and conferences, limiting numbers of those that should gather at one time. For me personally the news means that I will not be travelling to Western Asia this summer as planned (a place I love with people I love). In addition, I was in the midst of planning and leading a conference for the spring that has now been cancelled, or postponed.


Sigh... So many cancellations, or postponements yet to be rescheduled. I understand and agree with these actions—I believe they are necessary and wise. In fact, because I currently live with my parents (who are 79 and 84) I have been choosing to stay in for the past week, and will continue to do so. But we have all gone through a bit of emotional and mental whiplash over the last couple weeks.

There are many losses and unknowns in this season. And I feel completely out of control, but then I realize that I was never actually IN control - my sense of 'control' is really only an illusion, right?! And all these losses and unknowns and lack of control brings grief. WE'RE GRIEVING. Our whole country, our world, is grieving. And you know what? It’s okay to grieve the things we are missing or longing for right now. It’s okay to be sad, angry, frustrated, confused, even scared. Jesus invites us to the throne to lay our whole selves at His feet, even our sad, disappointed, grieving, stressed out selves.


“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” (Matthew 11:38-29)


As you take care of your health in this season or take care of those around you, what are you doing to take care of your heart? How are you doing? What are you sad, angry or frustrated about? What are you learning? How are you clinging to the HOPE and PEACE promised in Jesus in the midst of the chaos? And what do you need (emotionally, spiritually, mentally, physically) in the coming days and weeks?


As you care for your health and the health of those around you, I pray that you will have the space to also process all that you are experiencing internally. I pray that you will lean into Jesus with your whole self and hear from Jesus through this time. I know He wants to hear from you. He told us, "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest..."

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much, Lisa, for this. I've been feeling this since January 22 when our study abroad programs started to be cancelled and with all the unknowns. I've been bombarded daily with hundreds of emails of what going on with the programs around the globe and my anxiety rises as I felt helpless. Now, with my kids out of school temporarily for 3 weeks, I'm tasked with homeschooling on top of working, possibly from home. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad this was timely for you. These are challenging times, and it's good to take care of our physical health as well as our emotional health. I hope you can find time/space to process all you are experiencing, and of course find hope and peace in Him.

      Delete